Friday, June 18, 2010

To Ooty we go

Well good morning, India. I would love to tell you it is a beautiful morning in India today, but it is 4 am and the birds seem to be screeching rather than singing when it is this early, the sun isn't out yet, my "daypack" is extremely heavy due to packing way more than I need for this overnight trip, and I've forgotten my pillow for the road...it's not quite beautiful...yet. I get on the bus and have a little flashback as I see each girl in her own seat, some with droopy, tired eyes, and some hyper with excitement. I am reminded of high school swim trips. Hopefully our 22-year-old selves can withstand the cattiness that our 16-year-old selves never learned.

To give you a little background, my National Geographic traveler's guide tells me that Ooty is one of several "hill towns" leftover from Britain's rule over India. While the British were here, they never quite acclimated themselves to the hot climate and lifestyle of India and therefore many of them fell ill to typhoid, cholera, and malaria. However, the English soldiers living in the hills never seemed to get ill. Therefore, "resort" type towns began to form up in the hills and became vacation destinations for the British. Today towns like Ooty are again under Indian reign but still have a little British influence about them. I'll let you know first hand...if the sun ever comes up and we ever arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment