Sunday, June 13, 2010

At Dinner With the ex-Prime Minister?

June 13th 9:30 pm-Yes there is a question mark after ex-prime minister now...we're not exactly sure who this guy is. But...he's definitely important and works high up in Indian politics and used to teach at Harvard University. So we finally got to see a bit of the city tonight! For what was described to us as a "very nice, westernized, middle class" city...I would beg to differ. Maybe its because all the shops were closed for the night but the street shops looked like about 75% of them were under construction or falling apart. It was interesting to see a very nice Reebok store though. I couldn't believe the number of people on motorcycles weaving in and out of traffic with no helmets or even shoes on! I have a feeling there may be a lot of traffic victims in the hospitals we visit.

Dinner consisted of traditional Indian food. So far I've been able to pick out foods that I think I'll enjoy, thank goodness since its considered rude to take food and not eat it. For emergencies I took some ketchup packets from the Mumbai Airport in case I have to choke something yucky down. Our appetizers looked like a little cup of cereal and a plate of those Welch's Uncrustables pb&j sandwiches. When in fact it was a cup of warm milk with tiny deep fried doughnuts and a plate of "pan" (bread) with some garlic-oil-spice-sauce.


At dinner some of the important looking political people were presented with flowers and they thanked us for coming to India and encouraged us to share our experiences with our colleagues back home (I was like, uh, yeah dude, check my blog, way ahead of you).

I took a picture of gina, kathryn, becca, and I on the bus back as well.


So, goodnight for now! More tomorrow after our orientation and hopefully shopping for sari's so we can blend in a little better :)

By the way, I'm following Kelsey and Kathryn's blogs from my blog so check theirs out too for a different perspective!

1 comment: