Thursday, July 8, 2010

The things that no longer matter

It's funny the things that no longer matter to you when you've been living in India for a month. Last night I ate okra. Yes, real green okra. Then I ate cabbage. Before bed I decided that not showering was much more appealing than feeling ice cold water down my back. I went to sleep on yet another paper thin and hard mattress and slept like a baby. This morning I washed my face and braided my hair and forgot to put makeup on. Yes, forgot. Then I ate breakfast and had eggs without ketchup. I even ate the crust on my toast. When you're pretty certain you've never even seen 80% of the foods on your plate eventually you just eat it all anyway without even noticing. When you're with 10 girls on a houseboat for 2 days you forget to wear makeup. And when the mud squishes up between your toes and your sandals you worry about cleaning up later or you just dip your feet in the river. When it's rained for the last 3 days you're no longer concerned that you wore that outfit yesterday because all the clothes in your backpack smell like mildew anyway. I have a clean face and clean hands, a full tummy, a rested mind, shoes on my dirty feet and smelly clothes on my back. I'm content :) it's India! I can hardly believe our trip is almost over. It seems as if we've only just arrived. Sometimes I feel so lucky to have received this experience in my life and I don't understand how I am so blessed, but I am so thankful for everything we've done and learned. Maybe I feel a few inches closer to knowing my calling life, maybe not, but I do know that India is a beautiful country deserving of so much more than it has and I am so glad I came here :) and all things considered, I absolutely loved all of it.

Not sure there will be much to blog about from our last 3 days in Coimbatore so I may be signing out for now! Until my next adventure, Thanks for listening and hope you enjoyed :)

3 comments:

  1. Loved your entire blog... will miss your outlook on India.. glad to see you all got enlightened in some way... thanks for sharing. Crista Gatti, Michelle's mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mic! I loved your blog. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic blog. From Wyoming myself and have also made the trek to India (Rajasthan).
    God be with you in the career decisions ahead.

    ReplyDelete